The Scouting For Food program is a city-wide food collection program conducted inpartnership with the Chicago Food Depository. The program will be conducted during the firsttwo weeks of December by several thousand Scouts. The Scouts will be collecting fooddonations and delivering the food to their district collection site. The food will then betransported to the Chicago Food Depository for distribution to local food pantries.
In the Law of the Pack, a Cub Scout gives good will and in the Boy Scout Promise, a Boy Scout promises to help other people at all times. By participating in the Scouting for Food program, Scouts fulfill these words and assist needy neighbors.
The Scouting For Food program has several objectives:
1. Help provide food for needy families.
2. Teach young people the value and importance of serving the community and helping their neighbors.
3. Provide and opportunity for the Chicago Area Council to give back to the community.
4. Provide visibility for Scouting.
UPDATE — 12/1/2010
Just a reminder that Saturday, December 4th is Bag Distribution for the Scouting for Food program. We have some rules from the Area Council:
1. Scouts must have adult supervision.
2. Under no circumstances are scouts to enter any homes or buildings.
3. Do not ring doorbells or knock on doors.
4. Hang bags on doorknobs. Do not place in mailboxes.
5. Scouts should wear uniforms or other Scout identification.
6. Do not distribute bags after dark.
7. Record streets where bags are distributed so you can recall locations for collecting day.
There are thank you cards available at www.chicagocubscouts.com/documents/ScoutforFood_Thanks.pdf Please print these out and insert them into the bags or deliver them when you pick up the food. Bag Collection is on Saturday, December 11. After you collect the food, bring it to St. Matthias Church/School, 4910 N. Claremont Ave. We will be there between 10 AM to 1 PM. We will take a Pack picture at 11:00 AM if you can make it, but you can drop the food off anytime between 10 and 1. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I have extra bags if you need them.
Thanks for all your efforts
Scouting for Food Event Coordinator
Email me more information